Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Esthetics


As some of you may know, I'm currently attending school to become a licensed Esthetician. I absolutely love my school and all the girls I'm in class with! I'll just tell you a little bit about what I'm doing and the progress I've made since I started going! I started October 7th and within the first week, we were packed with so much information it was hardly bearable! We jumped right into chapter 8 of our textbook which was on Skin care. We started on a Tuesday and by that Thursday, we had our first test. I have never studied so hard in my life over a test. It was insane all of the information I shoved into my brain about the skin and all of it's layers, the epidermis, the dermis, the stratum corneum and germinativum. Every skin type, oily, dry, combination, etc. Pretty legit stuff. Then we had to get into disorders. Knowing how to recognize melanoma, rosacea, the different levels of acne, hyperpigmentation, hypopigmentation, pre-mature aging, comedones, whiteheads, congestion, dehydration, and so much more. Within 2 days! I had to learn it all! And guess what...I got a 98% on my test! Only missing one answer! That was a proud moment. We jumped right into doing the "hands on" treatments starting with facials. There's two types of facials we offer. The Manual and The European. The euro is HEAVEN, let me tell you. Amazing. With facials and of course knowing all skin types and conditions we also have a motto of "KNOWING YOUR PRODUCT." So many people just throw crap on their faces and call it clean, and that's where my job comes in. Knowing product and how to treat your skin with what ingredients are included is key. Know what you're applying to your face! With this large range of skin care lines that are out there, we use a line called Dermalogica.

I like using it and knowing all the different benefits that come from each individual bottle of cleansers to masks to moisturizers to sunscreens, with so much in between. One of the things we learn are extractions. Which are when we steam the face up nice and moist while applying a product called scaling fluid which helps to soften the pores and open them up, ready to extract. We take the magnifying lamp and bring it real close to the face and SQUEEZE out all that nasty junk in there you never knew you had! Or you know, those very obvious suckers, zits. It's so intriguing to me. I LOVE IT. How disgusting. :] Okay, so we've moved on from facials and now into Brow and Lash tinting. This was really simple for me so if you ever want it done, call me. Moving on from there we learned back treatments which is like a facial but on your back and they are so nice and relaxing. I love them! Finally we're starting to get into the other good stuff. Waxing. Everyone loves waxing! Kind of a shaky process but I can do brows, lip, chest, back, butt (just kidding), legs, arms, underarms, bikini, fingers, and toes. Sorry, no Brazilians, the video was enough. Sick. Now we're onto Makeup! The main reason I'm attending this beautiful school! I've always had an art for makeup. Ever since I can remember, being 4 years old and shoving the mascara brush directly into my eye. Awesome. I don't do that anymore though, I promise :] Learning all different eye shapes and contouring colors, and the right kind of brushes. It's all just so amazing. Right after Thanksgiving I'm going to be able to start working on actual clients. I can not wait! Seriously, call me if you ever want anything done, I need all the practice I can get! There's the scoop on what's happening in my life right about now :D

14 comments:

Shannon said...

you just go ahead and call me whenever you need a guiny pig. It all sounds awesome! I'm so glad you are doing this and loveing it!

Brian and Brianna said...

I'm with Shannon!

Stephanie Perkins said...

Thats awesome! im glad your loving it!

Hayley said...

Amber- you have a blog! yeah! I had no idea you started school- awesome! It seems like the perfect job for you! Congrats! We'll see you at Christmas!

o said...

dear ambs,
please go to town on my poor face.
love,
kimri

o said...

dear amber & whitney,
DONT EVER USE "LOL'ED" AGAIN. love you.

love,
kimri

Unknown said...

Uhh hello!! Shoot if anyone needs some face attention it is I!! Ha ha Amber Marie Harman (took a guess on the middle name:) I have loved you since 5th grade...when you and Melissa used to lie to Ms. Spellacy and tell her that you were not chewing gum, but instead green paper because green was your favorite color...ok I made up the favorite color part, but anywayI always wished I could be as brave as you and Melissa!! Unfortunately I was too afraid of losing my dulce and peanuts hahahaha only you will get that ps!

Kat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kat said...

yay, I'm so glad I found your blog! love you! ps...we definitely have the same backround, it makes me happy!

Anonymous said...

We love your blog :)

Jenny Hogle said...

Sweet blog Amber! Glad I'm a creep and found it! Glad school is going well, it was fun seeing you the other day at dermalogica. Have a great day!

theharmans said...

Amber, I just found your blog! I'm thrilled!

theharmans said...

P.s. tell Heather that I love her hair!

theharmans said...

P.P.S.
Your hair looks great as well, but your hair ALWAYS look great!